Re: copyright question in general

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> It's still in my debian-devel folder, so I include it here.  It would be good
> if someone (Ian, Bruce ?) could overhaul it and adopt it to the DFSG.

	A semi-official letter would be nice.  I sometimes have a hard
time convincing people that it's not my decision and that I can't pull
strings or play loose with the copyright issue.
	Also, as seen from the outside, even if the author is a very good
programmer, the licensing issues can be very confusing.  The authors are
busy and don't find hassling with licenses to be as much fun as writing
code (surprise), and can have short attention spans.  A carefully worded
document could save a lot of time arguing and explaining.
	If anyone does this, please address how the DFSG applies to
documents.  That was one of my problems, and I've noticed other
maintainers have it too.
	For one of my packages , I spent far more time in correspondence
about the license than I did in packaging.

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>