Re: Should debhelper's dh_md5sums and dh_makeshlibs use chown?

Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> I'm adding several of the helper functions from debhelper to my
> packages.  Previously, I generated the md5sums and shlib myself in the
> build target in the rules file.  This will not work with dh_md5sums
> and dh_makeshlibs since they change the ownership of the generated
> files.
>
> I myself like to restrict the binary target in rule to the minimum
> possible so as to minimize super user access.  It doesn't seem
> necessary to change the ownership in these two functions as it is
> already done in dh_fixperms.
>
> Do others agree?  Should I file a bug report against debhelper?

Basically, the reason those debhelper programs chown the files to root is
because dh_fixperms is not instended to clean up permissions of debhelper
programs. After all, debhelper programs should get the permissions right on
thier own!

debian/rules binary is meant to be run as root. If you don't like that, use
fakeroot.

But it is interesting that you're generating the md5sums and shlib in the
build target - something I hadn't really considered. Could you send me your
debian/rules so I can see why you want to do it that way? It really makes
more sense to run dh_md5sums in the binary target, after debian/tmp is fully
populated with files. And dh_makeshlibs needs debian/tmp to already have the
files installed in debian/tmp, so it too should be run in the binary target.
I'm confused how you're making these programs work in the build target.

--
see shy jo