Should debhelper's dh_md5sums and dh_makeshlibs use chown?

I'm adding several of the helper functions from debhelper to my
packages.  Previously, I generated the md5sums and shlib myself in the
build target in the rules file.  This will not work with dh_md5sums
and dh_makeshlibs since they change the ownership of the generated
files.

I myself like to restrict the binary target in rule to the minimum
possible so as to minimize super user access.  It doesn't seem
necessary to change the ownership in these two functions as it is
already done in dh_fixperms.

Do others agree?  Should I file a bug report against debhelper?

--
Jean Pierre