Re: Possible new name for "deity" - `dfine'

    Andrew> How about 'dfine' that is the English word define less the
    Andrew> first e.  Deity/Trove helps define where we are different
    Andrew> to the other Linux distrbutions. Debian is the finest
    Andrew> Linux distribution there is for easy administration.  This
    Andrew> would fit well with models like dhelp / dwww or dselect
    Andrew> that we already have that are Debian specific.

 I think I like `dfine' better than `Trove', Andrew! Anybody else?

    Andrew> Just my 2 patacas

#include "nerdy_IMHO_disclaimer.h"

 It's probably worth more than a stack of sourdough pancakes and a
 couple egcs.

 `Trove' perhaps connotates treasure, money hunger, and dollar signs
 glinting <ca-ching> in the eyes, whereas `dfine' is more like
 `#define', `da fine' or `the finest'.  We define Linux, with code,
 and the concrete contributions of our time and effort, not with
 glossy full page advertisements, sales pitch, trade rag propaganda,
 and other land-fill-silage SPAM-beast fodder.

 That fits into our paradigm better, doesn't it?  Am I wrong?  I think
 that Debian GNU/Linux is more geared toward the degreed and degree-
 seeking technical, engineering, academic, and scientific community
 than toward the mass market web-tv crowd, the NT purchasing, sales
 minded high-rise corp office integrated suit and tie set, who seem,
 to me, more concerned with the number of dollars they bring in than
 the quality of the product "they" "produce".

 We're dirtied lab-smock types, working programmers, sliderule jocks,
 librarians, academics, and network service providers, rather than
 accountants, advertisers, marketeers, and salesmen.  We actually
 create (or are at least aspiring to.create) what they push-sell for
 monetary profit, filling their own `troves'.

 The name `dfine' is thus more befitting us than `Trove', which sounds
 like the name of a Red Hat product(r) (`glint') to me now that I've
 heard the name `dfine'.  I think the Debian distribution is more
 about utility and quality than about money.  Let's `dfine' Debian
 with this new installation and package management utility.

--
mailto:karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg