Re: RFD : libg++/gcc/egcs upgrades needed for libc6 (READ ME)

On 22 Feb 1998, James Troup wrote:

> My point stands; we shouldn't sacrifice stability of our C compiler to
> put pressure on anyone.  What do we care about here; the integrity of
> our stable distribution (which hamm will become in a matter of months)
> or some misguided political lobbying?

Then we should stay with 2.7. 2.8 sounds very poor to me and we have no
idea if/when theren will be another release (closed development).

EGCS simply is a must for C++, though I haven't had time to look into 2.8.
Personally I think we should put egcs and it's libstdc++ into stable and
leave 2.8 in unstable or create a package with a new name so we can have
all three at once.

I think this works fine for C, but will disable 2.7's C++ support because
of the new libstdc++. This will also break a number of programs that
relied on the obsolete libg++ classes (String, etc) and on broken g++ 2.7
behaviour.

At this time it doesn't sound wise to remove 2.7.

Jason