Re: Offer to take over packages saytime and wenglish

On Fri, Feb 20, 1998 at 04:29:24PM +0000, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm willing to take over maintanence of these packages, currently listed
> in the WNPP list as orphaned:
>
>  - saytime
>  - wenglish
>
> I'll be away this weekend, so if there are no objections by the start
> of next week, I'll start maintaining them.  In any case, I'll let the
> WNPP maintainer know the outcome.

Thank you for adopting the packages!

> As an aside, I can't work out the copyright implications of, for example,
> running Word Perfect's spell checker over the wenglish word list.
> I'd guess if I did that, the resulting list (even if it were the same
> as the original) would be a derived work of Word Perfect's dictionary?

Try not to mention it again, and we'll forget that you asked ;)
(and check if WP hasn't some intentionally incorrectly spelled words in its
dictionary, as Telekom does it with phone books ;)

> Can anyone confirm whether that's the case?

If it is the same as the original file, how can they check if you used WP at
all? If there are no changes that may be sole to WP's dictionary, how can
they claim something? And at last, are all other documents that run through WP's
spell checkers derived works?

No legal statement from me ;)  Was a license included with the software?

Marcus