Re: What about lib/*.la files?

NOTE: This message is crossposted. Please cut down the recipiants if
appropriate.

Hi Stephan!

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 12:15:21PM +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > GNU libtool is producing *.la files, and these are sometimes installed under
> > the lib hirarchy. It is a text file with some information about the
> > libraries installed.
> >
> > I know of at least one case where the configure script checks for this file
> > (gtk-- is checking for gtk libs). It is ok to install such a file, should
> > those be recommended or forced, are they completely useless? Is there some
> > other way to handle this than changing the autoconf script?
> >
> Hi!
>
> I'm not a libtool expert, but since I have written this part of gtk--'s
> configure script, I think, I can comment ;)

How small the world is ;)

> This files are not completly useless. If the library is to be dlopened,
> the .la file contains for example the filename of the library. Since this
> differes from one plattform to another, it's recommended to use this
> information.
> The other way to use this file is the way, gtk-- does it: to check, where
> a library is installed. Since gtk uses libtool, it's somehow granted, that
> there is a .la file, where the library is. This is easier than looking for
> .so, .a and .sl.
> Besides that you also can get the version number of the library out of
> this file (even for static libraries).
>
> So I really would recommend to install this files.

Martin asked for an example file, I took the libdeity.la that was installed
in /usr/lib. As we already have some packages that install it, we probably
should have a policy proposal about this. Then the following questions arise:

1) Should we force to install it if available?
2) If yes, then in which package?

Note that this is keeping me from releasing 0.7.8-1, because I want to do the
rules file right.

Thank you,
Marcus