Re: What about lib/*.la files?

> Hi everyone!
>
> GNU libtool is producing *.la files, and these are sometimes installed under
> the lib hirarchy. It is a text file with some information about the
> libraries installed.
>
> I know of at least one case where the configure script checks for this file
> (gtk-- is checking for gtk libs). It is ok to install such a file, should
> those be recommended or forced, are they completely useless? Is there some
> other way to handle this than changing the autoconf script?

Hi!

I'm not a libtool expert, but since I have written this part of gtk--'s
configure script, I think, I can comment ;)

This files are not completly useless. If the library is to be dlopened,
the .la file contains for example the filename of the library. Since this
differes from one plattform to another, it's recommended to use this
information.
The other way to use this file is the way, gtk-- does it: to check, where
a library is installed. Since gtk uses libtool, it's somehow granted, that
there is a .la file, where the library is. This is easier than looking for
.so, .a and .sl.
Besides that you also can get the version number of the library out of
this file (even for static libraries).

So I really would recommend to install this files.

Greets, Stephan

--
Stephan Kulow (coolo@kde.org)
Student of medical CS