Re: Q: Location of copyrighted ROM images for emulator packages?

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 11:52:37PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	I think that the proper path should just be /usr/local/lib/ or
>  /usr/local/lib/xtrs/ or something. Emacs adds stuff to the load path
>  like "/usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp".
>
> 	Your objection is that the ser should be able to call the roms
>  whatever she wants, but your solution of providing zero length images
>  does not pass that test either.

I think the user should be able to call the ROMs whatever (s)he wants if
the path to them includes /usr/local, absolutely yes.  If the ROMs are
going under /usr proper, then no -- the user doesn't get to control the
names of anything that goes there anyway.

Also, the pathname *HAS* to include the actual filename of the ROM, not
just a directory to search, because many people will have at least two
different images to use.  (I know of 3 different Model I ROMs, one Model
III, plus some MODELA/III thing that may or may not be a bona fide ROM
image).

So, really, xtrs is itself limiting the user's flexibility in naming the
ROMs, at least for the search-on-startup method.  If we put the ROMs in
/usr/local I have no business telling the user what to call them, but then
I might as well chuck the search-on-startup compile options.  Then the user
will have to specify a path to the ROMs every time the program is invoked.
(Sure, they'll just hack up an alias, but I still see that as inelegant.)

Another advantage to providing zero-length roms with a fixed path is that I
could possibly build an automated FTP grab of the ROMs into the postinst
(this would have to be an interactive thing only, with a legalese question
in it -- if the install is non-interactive, the grab is skipped).

> 	I think that when I fiddle with stuff on my machine it should
>  be pretty much in /usr/local only: firstly, that area is guaranteed
>  to be under my control, and it shall not conflict with future debian
>  plans (which may need the file name [unlikely in this case, i know])
>  Thirdly, If I backup /home. /usr/local/, /var/lib/dpkg and /etc, I
>  can recover my machine fully (/usr is huge for me, and so far, there
>  is no local modifications there.

Yes, I am very much in sympathy with that backup strategy.  I don't back up
as often as I should, but when I do, I backup /etc, /var, /home, and
/usr/local only.

> 	In short, I hate fddling in /usr, local stuff should be in
>  /usr/local.

I agree.

> 	As you have not mentioned any arguments against that that are
>  not equally valid for your solution, I think you should stick with
>  this.

I think I just did... :)

I guess what I'm really saying is, I think I should put them somewhere
other than /usr/local.  Given that, where should they go?  /usr/lib/xtrs?
/usr/X11R6/lib/xtrs?  /var/lib/xtrs (can't see why, the ROMs *can* change,
but they're unlikely do so very often)?

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |     What influenced me to atheism was
Purdue University                   |     reading the Bible cover to cover.