Re: backwards compatibility was Re: Uploaded kernel-package 3.61

Hi,
>>"Miquel" == Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> writes:

Miquel> In article <[🔎] 87btw34c8u.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>, Manoj
Miquel> Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
Juan> We won't need them at all if Dwarf releases the new libc6.
>>  Will people share the flack with me when people upgrade kernels
>> without first upgrading libc6-dev, and having compilation break for
>> them? Also, having trouble when they try to remove old kernels?
>> Cause if you remove the symlinks now, old kernel image postrm shall
>> bomb out.

Miquel> Who cares? This is still the "unstable" tree. You can expect
Miquel> these things. There has been no release of libc6 in "stable",
Miquel> so you won't break any packages from stable with this.

	Firstly, this is not just a hamm issue. Suppose I remove the
 files, and people upload 2.0.34 with the new kernel-package.

	Hamm is then released, people upgrade, and use the new kernel
 (no more /usr/src/.linux-version or lunix* links). Then they try to
 get rid og old kernel images, and all hell breaks loose.

	I am not prepared to totally bag backwards compatibility.

	Secondly "who cares"? "Who Cares"?  I do. You can't just
 cavalierly think one can keep breaking things gratuitously in
 unstable, and hope than in a mere month of freeze all the bugs,
 including complex inter package interactions shalll magically
 disappear.

	You can't have a excellent distribution unless you care about
 quality and compatibility even in unstable. Experimental is the
 distribution to try if you wanna break things. Unstable merely means
 that despite our best efforts at quality, we are human, and things
 may break. It does not mean, "who cares".

	So put me down as someone who cares for stabilty and quality
 assurance for unstable.

	manoj
 and definitely do not break things for popularity, despite what Mr
 gates has taught us
--
 "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Bert Lantz