Re: Non-mail idea (was Re: idea for a new debian mailserver?)

Rob Browning wrote:
> "Colin R. Telmer" <telmerco@qed.econ.queensu.ca> writes:

> > So as not to be completely negative, it seems to be that with a little
> > creative script writing, a mirror script could be set up to run at night
> > which compares the current packages on your system to the ones available
> > in the archive. It could then download the required packages so that they
> > are waiting to install the next morning.
>
> Right, that's dftp (more or less).  At the very least, dftp would make
> a good starting point if it didn't do everyting you wanted...

It's also dpkg-ftp, more or less :)
I'm more comfortable with dpkg-ftp than with dftp because it's well
integrated with dselect.  I like dselect.  (*shock horror*).

The drawback, compared to what Colin described, is that you have to
start it manually.  That's no problem for me because I don't want
cron jobs using my phone line in any case, but it might be different
for a site with lower phone charges.

dpkg-ftp does pause before it starts downloading, and again before it
starts installing, so you could do package selection during the day,
then let it download when you go home from work (or whatever), and
install the packages the next morning.

Richard Braakman