Re: Becoming a package maintainer

> On Sun, Feb 15, 1998 at 11:28:49PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Shaleh wrote:
> >
> > > scanned in picture of my US drivers license?  What needs to be PGP
> > 1) Scan in your license.
> > 2) Put your pgp fingerprint (a mess of two-character strings) on the image
> > with GIMP or XFIG or something -- do it in some whitespace under the
> > image.
> > 3) Pgp-sign the image --- with pgp -s filename.jpg
> > 4) mail the thing to the new-maintainer people.
>
>   5) Include a phone number where we can reach you.

All this is very interesting, but others have pointed out problems with
it...

With GIMP, etc, it would be relatively easy for me to create an image
of my drivers license with a) a current expiration date, b) my current
address, neither of which are on the real thing (I don't have a car, so
keeping things up to date isn't a priority with me right now).

Instead, especially if you live in the US, why not go to a Notary
Public, and have them take an affidavit?  This has the advantages that
Notaries are familiar with verifying identity and Notaries and
notarized documents have legal backing behind them -- if you lie on a
notarized affidavit, you can be charged with perjury, etc.

I would be perfectly willing to take, as valid, a notarized affidavit
from someone stating "I am XXXXX, my address is YYYYY, the fingerprint
of my PGP key is ZZ ZZ ZZ..."

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"Just as the strength of the Internet is chaos, so the strength of our