Re: Help switching maintainers

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

> > Why can't you simply re-upload the package with a patched maintainer
> > field? Some people just look at the .debs itself when searching for the
> > maintainer and these people might get the wrong address otherwise.
>
>  Uploading a package just to change tha maintainer package is wrong IMO.
>  It causes silly downloads for people following unstable and not everybody
> in the world has a cheap, reliable and fast connection to the net.

I disagree. The disadvantages of having packages in unstable with wrong
maintainer fields is IMO much greater than that of having to download a
file twice.

In addition, since maintainer changes are not that often, I think we could
handle this little `overhead'.

BTW, there is a script somewhere which can unpack a .deb, change the
maintainer field, and repack it again. With that, the maintainers would
not have to reupload the package again.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/