Re: kernel-headers-* for different archs (was Re: What's Debian's /usr/src policy)

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Eric" == Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr> writes:
>

> Eric> I'm using kernel-package to build kernel-{image,headers} for
> Eric> sparc since a week.  I did several fixes especially to use silo
> Eric> instead of lilo at installation time.  I will file a bug against
> Eric> it as soon as I'll sure they will be almost error prone.  I
> Eric> didn't have enough time to test it extensively as I'm also
> Eric> working on boot disks for sparc...
>
> 	There was someone esle wh mentioned silo, but nothing came of
>  it since I did not have any information about silo, and I can't test
>  it at all personally. However, if anyone contributes patches, and/or
>  documentation for silo, I shall be happy to include it into
>  kernel-package.
>
> 	manoj

I will send you my patches soon.
Just a thought: the postinst script of the kernel-image using silo is close to
yours, therefore I can merge both, using a selector to choose between them,
based on the installation architecture.  It then will implement both methods
for all architectures, but only one of them will work at installation time.
Otherwise I can add conditional directives then feed the input to a
preprocessor (like m4 or cpp) to create a script designed for the target
architecture at build time.  Which solution do you prefer?

Thanks in advance.