Re: over 30000 bugs in our archive (!)

Charles Briscoe-Smith <cpbs@debian.org> writes:

> > E: gsn-curses: description-contains-invalid-control-statement
>
> What does this mean?  I'd guess it has to do with the line in the
> extended description which starts with an elipsis (...)?

It violates policy.  Packaging manual 7.1

| 7.1 Types of formatting line in the extended description
|

| [...]

|      * Those containing a single space followed by a single full stop
|        character. These are rendered as blank lines. This is the only
|        way to get a blank line - see below.
|      * Those containing a space, a full stop and some more
|        characters. These are for future expansion. Do not use them.

> > E: zcode-support: file-missing-in-md5sums etc/menu/zcode-support
> > E: zcode-support: file-missing-in-md5sums etc/zcode-support/interpreters
> > E: zcode-support: file-missing-in-md5sums etc/zcode-support/interpreters
> > E: strn: file-missing-in-md5sums etc/news/strn/default_topic
> > E: strn: file-missing-in-md5sums etc/news/strn/hier_groups
> > E: strn: file-missing-in-md5sums etc/news/strn/hier_groups
>
> These are deliberately left out of the md5sums file because they are
> conffiles.

[...]

I agree here.

> In fact, I'm not sure why you're checking for this anyway...  md5sums
> files are not yet Policy, are they?

Nope, but it makes sense to check them, certain versions of debmake
produced broken md5sums files (quelle suprise).

> > E: strn: old-fsf-address
>
> In the /usr/doc/*/copyright, I suppose?  In that file, I report what
> the copyrights and licences actually ARE.  I should not change them
> from what the author(s) wrote.

Why not?  It's just standard GPL blurb, and adapting it for Debian
makes a lot of sense; check out the copyright file for hello:

| You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
| with your Debian GNU/Linux system, in /usr/doc/copyright/GPL, or
| with the Debian GNU/Linux hello source package as the file COPYING.
| If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave,
| Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

That to me is a Good thing to do.  And why not fix the address?  Why
deliberately leave a known-to-be incorrect address in a copyright
file?  For kicks and laughs from gratuitous user-antagonism?  (Not
that I know anyone who's written to the FSF asking for a copy of the
GPL, but still...)

> This should therefore be downgraded to a warning, or dropped
> altogether.

I disagree.

--
James