Portable equivalent of "type -p"?

I've been removing bashisms from my rules files lately (SHELL=/bin/ash and
try to build), and have encountered one situation in which I don't know a
portable solution.

Several of my rules files have a sanity check for the C library in them;
when this check fails, it provides some debugging info, including the
location of $(CC).  Currently, I use `type -p $(CC)` for this, but this does
not work with ash.

Is there a portable (POSIX) way of determining which binary will be called
for a particular command?

TIA,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,