Re: Second call for Proposal

From: Heiko Schlittermann <heiko@datom.de>
Subject: Second call for Proposal
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 10:30:16 +0100

> Currently it seems as if there's no common opinion about the contents of
> the Filename: header and about the place the non-US stuff should go to.
>

> . for the current stable release
>     debian/bo/*
>     debian/non-free/*
>     debian/contrib/*
>     debian/non-US/*     [ empty/non-existant on US servers ]
>     debian/dists/stable/main/
>                        /non-free/ -> debian/non-free/
>                        /contrib/  -> debian/contrib/
>                        /non-US/   -> debian/non-US/
>     debian/stable/ -> debian/bo/
>
>     having in the Packages file:
>     Filename: stable/binary-i386/x11/9fonts_1-4.deb
>     Filename: contrib/binary/abuse_1.10-8.deb

And for non-US stuff having int the Packages file as follows?

     Filename: non-US/binary-i386/bzip_0.21-3.deb
or
     Filename: dists/stable/non-US/binary-i386/bzip_0.21-3.deb

> . and the upcoming stable
>
>     debian/hamm/hamm/*
>                /main/ -> hamm/
>                /non-free/*
>                /contrib/*
>                /non-US/* [ empty/non-existant on US servers ]
>
>     having in the Packages file:
>     Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/text/2utf_1.01.deb

Again for non-US as follows?

      Filename: dists/unstable/non-US/binary-i386/bzip_0.21-3.1.deb

> Now my questions:
>
>     . Any objections to move the non-US stuff into the
>       official tree on one of the servers outside the US?
>       (I'd prefer ftp.de.debian.org, since currently it's the
>       same server as nonus.debian.org).  -> as resulting task
>       all mirrors in and outside the US should change their mirror
>       configs.
>
>     . According to the change above I'd change the Filename: header
>       to the same as in the other Packages files.

If the Filename: in the Packages file for non-US is like above, then
How about this?

 mirror from any nearest debian ftp server:
	debian/bo/*
	debian/non-free/*
	debian/contrib/*
	debian/non-US -> ../debian-non-US/bo
	debian/dists/stable/main -> ../../bo
			   contrib  -> ../../contrib
			   non-free -> ../../non-free
			   non-US -> ../../non-US
	debian/stable -> debian/bo/

	debian/hamm/hamm/*
	           main -> hamm
		   non-free/*
		   contrib/*
		   non-US -> ../../debian-non-US/hamm

 mirror from nonus debian ftp server:
	debian-non-US/bo/*
		     hamm/*
		     non-US -> bo/
		     dists/stable/non-US -> ../../non-US
		     dists/unstable/non-US -> ../../hamm

mirror from nonus.debian.org is for nonus stuff only,
others can be mirrored from nearest debian ftp site.

I think it will work fine if debian-non-US is the next to debian directory
and almost non-us debian ftp site already has such layout.

--
Fumitoshi UKAI / Debian JP Project