Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before freezing Hamm

On Fri, Feb 06, 1998 at 03:07:23AM -0500, Brian White wrote:
> The following bug reports *must* be fixed before the current unstable Debian
> distribution can progress further in its development cycle.  Reminders have
> been sent to the maintainers of these packages yet nothing has been done to
> remedy these bugs.

<cutted a list of zillion bugs>

> These bugs are all the "critical", "grave", and "important" bug reports,
> both "pending" and "forwarded".

> These bugs can either be degraded below critical, grave, and important, or
> they can be fixed in non-maintainer releases.

> Alternatively, the package can be reverted to the version in Bo.  If this is
> done, _don't_ close the bug but rather downgrade the severity of the bug
> to "normal".

Are we sure we want to fix _ALL_ the problems before freezing? Many of the
bugs against optional packages, and IMHO the distribution should not wait
for optional packages, which have been proven to be unimportant by the
fact that no-one has bothered to fix a >= important bug. We should just
cruelly dump those packages to contrib, AFAIK contrib is a place for
packages that are not maintained.

Remember, that the sole reason I ever installed debian was because it had
the 2.0 kernel first. I probably weren't the only one and nowadays the
bleeding endge freeks are all installing Redhat, because the latest stable
debian is closing the age one year!

Riku Voipio