Re: Fwd: Perl IO module license change

On 6 Feb 1998, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> Graham Barr has changed the license on the IO Perl module after a lot
> of in-fighting on the Perl 5 Porters mailing list. I guess we'll have
> to stop including Perl (or at least the IO module) with Debian, unless
> someone can change Graham's mind.

i just checked the copyright on the IO i have on my system:

/usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/IO/Pipe.pm contains the following text:

# IO::Pipe.pm
#
# Copyright (c) 1996 Graham Barr <Graham.Barr@tiuk.ti.com>. All rights
# reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.

this is for version 1.0901

the other .pm files have the same message.

i suppose this means that a free version can be forked off from 1.0901 if
it becomes necessary.

>     Graham> All versions of IO before 1.19 are being removed from
>     Graham> CPAN, however after posting 1.19 I did realise that I have
>     Graham> made it too strict. It should be you can distribute
>     Graham> unalterd copies freely, but modified copies cannot. I will
>     Graham> be re-uploading when I have it sorted.
>
> I'll have to sadly forward this to the Debian GNU/Linux mailing
> list. Unless your license explicitly allows distributing patch-files
> along with your module, Debian cannot even start including IO with the
> rest of the distribution.
>
> Please see http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html#guidelines --
> you might have a change of heart after you see just how restricting
> your new license is. :(
>
> --
> Brought to you by the letters O and T and the number 8.
> "Nerd. Loser. Jerk. Moron. Worm. Scum. Idiot. Fool." -- Pkunk, SCII
> Ben Gertzfield <http://www.imsa.edu/~wilwonka/> Finger me for my public
> PGP key. I'm on FurryMUCK as Che, and EFNet and YiffNet IRC as Che_Fox.
>

> --

craig sanders