Re: Gratuitous promotion of random binaries to standard

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> My concern is not so much with MC being rejected as a "standard" package,
> but more with the entrenched conservatism that says, only those packages
> that have historically been considered "part of a standard Unix system"
> are ever to be considered as "standard" Debian packages. This strict
> interpretation is the definition of a "dead language", an unchanging
> static object that can never be adapted to a new environment and will
> therefore become extinct.

Well it would appear that even these aren't being followed.  For
instance...

 * Perl is even a higher priority, yet it is not a standard part of
   Unix.

 * LaTeX is a huge system not a standard part of Unix.

 * cvs, flex, etc....

My own opinion is that LaTeX is one that shouldn't be in standard, but it
seems others are OK.

> I have always taken the "liberal" POV and have expected Debian to be a
> living, breathing, adapting system and have no objections to redefining
> the set of standard packages on a continuing basis.
>
> One final argument in favor of considering MC to be a standard package.
> The GNU folks have adopted this package and carry it on all their mirrors.
> We are "Debian GNU/Linux", not "Debian, the standard since ancient times".
>
> Those of you who are opposed to changing standard please reconsider your
> position by taking a look at the list of standard packages with the eye
> toward what tools are missing that could be provided to make a more
> "complete" set of "standard" tools. (As you know, I think MC is a prime
> candidate) If you come to the conclusion that I am still wrong, please let
> us hear your reasons. Paul is correct. "No!" in reply to "Is this a good
> idea?" is a vote with no authority. Please, give logical explanation. This
> tends to starve the flames, while providing information to the rest of us.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dwarf
> --
> _-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-
>
> aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 656-9769
>       Flexible Software              11000 McCrackin Road
>       e-mail:  dwarf@polaris.net     Tallahassee, FL  32308
>
> _-_-_-_-_-_- If you don't see what you want, just ask _-_-_-_-_-_-_-
>

> --

John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for
jgoerzen@complete.org | DOS/Windows -- check it out at www.debian.org.