Re: web address in control file

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:
>
> > We should consider to have a new keyword called "Origin:" (or something
> > like that) which contains the name of the distributor of the package. For
> > all packages in the Debian distribution, this field would always contain
> > "Origin: SPI".  Any other person/company which produces .debs would list
> > their name in that field.
> >
> > I think this field is important for the users to know from which source a
> > package comes from. Perhaps we should also implement some functionality
> > into dpkg to check the origin field of the packages at installation time
> > and issue a warning if packages from different sources are `mixed'. E.g.,
> > we and the KDE team both produce .debs and since both sets of packages use
> > different file system standards they can't be intermixed.
>
> Can you please elaborate on how this will be done? What do you define as a
> 'mix'? I've notice such simple sounding statements are often really hard
> to implement.

The problem with the KDE packages is that there is one set of them
included in the Debian distribution and the KDE project also distributes
.debs. (Note, that we always appreciate it if other distributes their
programs in .deb!)

Since both set of packages use the same package names you can't really set
up any dependencies/conflicts to avoid that a user has KDE packages from
different sets installed at the same time.

Note, that I haven't thought about the details of implementation a lot
yet, but here are two `spontaneous' solutions:

1. Have the KDE packages check in their preinst script if our KDE packages
are currently present and refuse installation (together with an
explanation) in that case.

2. Enhance dpkg' "Conflicts:" fields (or set up a new field) which allows
"Conflicts:" with a package coming from a certain vendor.

Does this help?

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz