Re: another attempt to use hamm disks

On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 10:31:49PM -0500, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I made another attempt to use newly uploaded to master hamm disks.
> Result: I managed to install, but I guess only experienced users would be
> able to do it.
>
> First of all, the highlighting is really weird, much worse than in bo.

I guess you are talking about "Cancel" being the default option in some
dialog boxes. I've fixed that in my development version.

> Second, minor point, the menus of installing the modules into kernel
> came out without color.

Yes, fixed too.

> Third, after unpacking the base system, script hang for a while and then
> put me back to the very beginning - the menu to choose color/mono.

Mmmm, which medium did you use to install the base system, from floppies
or from the base2_0.tgz file? I have found some errors when using
floppies, but I'm not sure yet which routine to blame.

> After that I forced it to configure the base system, it complained that it
> cannot stat some files, nevertheless I managed to configure timezone.
> Forth, I tried to make a boot floppy,  (not to make hard drive bootable),
> it formated the floppy and immediately told me that the operation failed.

That's a new one. I will look at it.

> I had no other way than to open another console and just do
>
> cp /target/vmlinuz /dev/fd0
>                               and then
> rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/sda5
>                         (/dev/sda5 is my root partition).
>
> That's it.
>
> Hope it was helpfull.

Sure. Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna