Re: xinetd vs. rpc.portmap

 > Wow, this made me pretty much doubt Debian's quality:
 >
 > I'm running hamm (i386) with xinetd-2.2.1-1 and netbase-3.03-1
 > installed i was almost going crazy because i just couldn't figure
 > out why neither telnet nor ftp wanted to run at all, wasting two
 > hours and a few downloads for unnecessarily reinstalling said
 > packages, until i finally found out what was really wrong.
 >
 > I tracked down the problem to "/etc/init.d/xinetd" silently failing
 > (which is actually a bug by itself) because of the entry "test -f
 > /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap || exit 0" and no "/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap"
 > existing. The latter has been renamed to "/usr/sbin/portmap" by
 > the maintainer of netbase. I've looked at the bug database and
 > found out that this is in fact a *long* standing bug of the xinetd
 > package (http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/12/12021.html). The bug
 > report is not only coming with a nice fix but is already 169 days
 > old, which IMHO is way too much for such an essential package.
 >
 > On the other hand i'm not so sure if not possibly the netbase
 > package should be considered the culprit for changing
 > /usr/sbin/rpc.portmap to /usr/sbin/portmap and thus breaking
 > packages relying on it.
 >
 > I think this should really be fixed ASAP.

I am working on the new version of xinetd, sorry for the
inconvenience.

thks,
borik

Xinetd Maintainer.

__
Boris D. Beletsky                           borik@bfr.co.il
Network Administrator                      borik@debian.org
Berger Financial Research,              borik@isracom.co.il
IBM Building                           Home: +972 2 6411880
Tel-Aviv Israel                        Work: +972 3 6944218