Re: Gzipped .dvi files?

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 fog@perosa.alpcom.it wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	the discussion made me think that we have a preferred on-line
> documentation format (HTML) but not a printable one. I think all the
> printable documentation should be in Postscript (or .pdf if good free
> converters are available), so that every user can print it's manuals
> with a minimal effort and installing just one package (ghostscript).
>
> 	Converting dvi to ps is easy and fast and we have at least
> two good previewers (gv and ghostview). They are much better than xdvi.

I know from previous discussion that lots of people will disagree with you
on this point: xdvi is much faster and the output looks much nicer than
the one of a dvi->ps converted file in ghostview--at least for me.

But _please_, don't let us start this discussion again now. We already had
one discussion on this and this was the longest discussion I have seen
since I joined Debian (I'm not joking!).

The result from that discussion was very clear: We'll not find a common
documentation format which everyone likes. Thus, we'll implement a
flexible solution where the local sysadmin can choose whatever
documentation format he/she prefers (perhaps several formats at one time).

Doing .dvi->.ps conversion is in fact very easy, so it should be possible
to implement this into doc-base. That feature could be turned on or off
depending on the local setup.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/