Re: Gzipped .dvi files?

> On Thu, Jan 29, 1998 at 11:09:20AM -0600, Zed Pobre wrote:
> >

> > > If you have time to volunteer, try to fix the dvi viewer's to accept
> > > gzipped files - start with dvisvga, it is my favourite one ;)
> >
> >     The easiest way that I have found to do this under a libc5 system is
> > to install zlibc, the latest version being 0.9f.  I couldn't find a .deb
> > for it, but it wouldn't be very hard for me to build one if anyone thinks
> > it would be worth it (I'd probably need some help getting the policy stuff
> > straight, so I'd be bugging you again...)
>
> At the moment, it would be no solution, because Debian 2.0 will be libc6,
> and no libc5 packages are allowed (modulo the compatibility packages)

$ dpkg --info libs/zlib1g_1.0.4-7.1.deb
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 23126 bytes: control archive= 571 bytes.
     363 bytes,    11 lines      control
      28 bytes,     5 lines   *  postinst             #!/bin/sh
     141 bytes,     8 lines   *  preinst              #!/bin/sh
      15 bytes,     1 lines      shlibs
 Package: zlib1g
 Version: 1:1.0.4-7.1
 Architecture: i386
 Depends: libc6
 Conflicts: zlib1 (<= 1:1.0.4-7)
 Installed-Size: 52
 Maintainer: Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@debian.org>
 Source: zlib
  zlib is a library implementing the deflate compression method found
  in gzip and pkzip.  This package includes the shared library.

This seems to be a libc6 library, doesn't it?

> Mmmh, is zlibc a libc5 replacement? I'm not sure if it would be a good
> idea to have concurrent libc's installed...

Probably a wrapper library that wraps functions like open() and friends.

[from a different discussion, on debian-private and now on bugtraq:
 Let me check, and maybe I we can turn it into a root exploit.]

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.