Re: content negotiation for language in web pages

"James A.Treacy" <treacy@debian.org> writes:

> 3. Similar to 2, but each language references the pages in its language,
>    e.g. index.html.de would reference vendors.html.de . At the main
>    page the user would get a language (either by content negotiation
>    or by explicitly choosing the language by using one of the cross-links)
>    and all links followed after that would be in that language.
>    Someone jumping into a different page would have no idea other languages
>    existed.
>
> Good points: This can weakly support partial translations by having a link
> to a non-translated page point to the English version. A person using
> a browser that doesn't support content negotiation can still get their
> preferred language. Stupid users can understand this.

This is very important for our organization of volunteers. We need a
starting point to encourage other people to translate more pages.

> Bad points: once you choose a language, you are stuck with it unless you
> Partial translations aren't dealt with well. A German with good French
> (does such a person exist? ;) and poor English isn't served well by this
> model with a partial German translation.

that can be solved with cross references to all other languages. We
can use a small line at the bottom that contains links to each
translation of the document. It should be possible to create these
links automatically. Otherwise it's to much work.

> Personally, I see number 3 as the way to go. Of course, other opinions/
> additional ideas are welcome.

me, too.

Bye
  Christian