Re: Confusion over device major:minor numbering...

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980128125434.14499A-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>,
	dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz) writes:
> I have been looking at the devices in /dev with the hope of understanding
> what drivers I have on my machine. I have been under the (mistaken?)
> understanding that major:minor numbers were supposed to be unique for each
> device, yet this doesn't seem to be the case. For instance:
>
> 	1:1 belongs to both /dev/mem and /dev/ram1
> 	1:2 belongs to both /dev/kmem and /dev/ram2
>			:
>			:
> 	1:7 belongs to both /dev/full and dev/ram7

/dev/mem is a character device and /dev/ram1 is a block device:

   0 crw-rw----   1 root     kmem       1,   1 Jan  9  1997 /dev/mem
     ^
   0 brw-r-----   1 root     disk       1,   1 Dec 31  1969 /dev/ram1
     ^

Same thing for the others.

> A different type of the same class of confusion stems from:
>
> 	8:16 is used by both /dev/sda16 and /dev/sdb

I have no /dev/sda16 or anyother /dev/sd?16

Erv
--
Graduate Student                                edwalter@iname.com
Department of Chemistry                       walter@chem.wisc.edu

I try to impress someone and always end on the short end.
 -- tagline 1.00 by xopy