Re: Debian's PCMCIA support is weak and buggy

On Wed, Jan 28, 1998 at 11:23:07AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> I just got a new IBM thinkpad yesterday, along with a Linksys Combo
> PCMCIA ethercard (NE2000-compat).
>
> First, it turns out that the boot disks that come with the 1.3.1 CD
> have no support on them, and the latest boot disks on the FTP site
> appear to have support but it doesn't work at all.  Go figure.
>
> Then, the PCMCIA packages on the bo CD are broken (conflicting, etc.)
> The ones in bo on the FTP site aren't much better.
>
> Finally, I managed, by shuffling a lot of floppies, to get to a
> minimal hamm situation with custom-compiled pcmcia-modules (the
> pcmcia-source in hamm won't compile with 2.0.33 without modifications,
> BTW) and kernel.  At that point, PCMCIA works fairly well.
>
> However, PCMCIA card services get started way too late in the boot
> procedure.  For instance, /etc/init.d/network runs before PCMCIA
> realizes that there is an ethernet card in the computer, so
> /etc/init.d/network of course fails miserably.
>
> In all, it took several hours of work by a competant hacker (me <g>)
> but a novice would probably not be able to get it working.

The bad news are that I haven't thought about PCMCIA support in our boot
procedure until reading your message, so I guess you won't find any
difference in the first (alpha state) version of the new boot floppies,
that I plan to upload to experimental before this weekend.

The good news are that if you give me some advice, I will try to improve
that support for the next revision of the boot floppies, and perhaps we
will have something working for Debian 2.0.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna