Re: kernel headers---FAQ

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> So the solution is to move the diffs to another package (for example, the
> kernel package?).

There is nothing to move, unless I include kernel headers from either a
source or header paackage.

> We could make libc6-dev build (debian/rules) to require "the kernel
> package having all the Debian patches" to be already uncompressed in
> another directory (using one of the new headers proposed by Ian Jackson in
> debian-policy some time ago).
>
> libc6-dev is already Architecture: any, not all. If we implement the new
> header for package building, there is no need to split the package in two.

There is no package splitting being done here!

> > David also pointed out to me that if I include the headers at build time,
> > from those installed on my machine, then someone else who re-compiles
> > libc6 on their own machine may or may not have those headers installed and
> > the results may not be useful. At best there is the likelyhood that
> > programs compiled against this "private" libc6 will not work like those
> > same sources compiled against the "distribution" libc6.
>
> Yes, but libc6-dev would not have to be built from the headers installed
> on your machine (this would be a really bad idea), but from the headers
> inside our known Debian source kernel package, which has all the patches
> already applied.

and must be installed on the machine that builds libc6!

> Sorry, but I still do not understand why splitting an important package in
> two is a better technical solution than implementing a new Source header
> for control files.

There is no package splitting being done here! Libc6 aka glibc2 has no
kernel headers in the source file at all!

I can only rejoin your statement by saying: I still don't understand why I
should include components from the desired kernel-source/header package,
creating a larger diff, when a simple depends works correctly, just
doesn't seem to me to be optimal.

Luck,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-