libc6 bug (the bug formerly known as the tcpdump bug)

Ok, I think I found it:

In glibc-2.0.6/nss/nss_files we have:

files-service.c which has:

DB_LOOKUP (servbyname, 2 + strlen (name) + strlen (proto),
                                                   ^^^^^
This may be NULL!  According to Stevens UNP, section 8.2.

           (".%s/%s", name, proto),
           {
             /* Must match both protocol (if specified) and name.  */
             if (proto != NULL && strcmp (result->s_proto, proto))
               continue;
             LOOKUP_NAME (s_name, s_aliases)
           },
           const char *name, const char *proto)

The diff file reports the previous version of this line as:

-DB_LOOKUP (servbyname, 1 + strlen (name), (".%s/%s", name, proto),

Maybe there is something wrong with this, but at least tcpdump worked!

Sorry I dont have a fix, but I'm a bit surprised I even managed to
find this.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org