Re: GPLed Netscape for Debian 2.1? :-O

On 22 Jan 1998, Stephen Zander wrote:

> Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@molec3.dfis.ull.es> writes:
>
> > I've taken a link from http://slashdot.org to an article in
> > http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/980122/ca_netscap_3.html that says:
> >
> > "...
> > Netscape, plans to make Netscape Communicator 5.0 source code available
> > for modification and redistribution beginning later this quarter with the
> > first developer release of the product. The company will handle free
> > source distribution with a license that allows source code modification
> > and redistribution and provides for free availability of source code
> > versions, building on the heritage of the GNU Public License (GPL),
> > familiar to developers on the Net.
> > ..."
> >
> > I wonder how will that work with lesstiff...
>
> I wonder if they'll keep to their intentions, given the bloodbath (economic
> not physical) over there right now...
>
> Sure would be an interesting one-up on M$.

Call me a pessimist but I read this as saying Netscape no longer thinks it
can compete with Microsoft in this area and is just giving up the fight.
The major Wall Street company I work for, a long time Netscape user, is
seriously thinking of switching to IE4 and Netscape is taking a hammering
in other firms too.

And also the wording is a little curious.  "Building on the heritage of
the GPL?" Could that mean "free but not really free" or free in the DFSG
sense?  There is a FAQ on the announcement at
http://home.netscape.com/communicator/free_faq.html and under the question
"Will Netscape make Netscape Communicator 5.0 source code freely
available?"  It says "...source code will be freely available for
modification and redistribution." which sounds ok but maybe Bruce or
someone should start lobbying them to make sure they get the true
religion. :-)

In any case, it is good news for Linux users.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>