Re: Mailing list policy

Understanding debian, currently, requires a massive amount of knowledge.
And, currently, much of that knowledge is dispersed throughout a wide variety
of areas.

Also, we're still engineering some fundamental aspects of debian's
approach to operating system management.  So the implications of
the traffic on debian-devel can be almost unintuitive (far-reaching).

Personally, I think we need a few more people who have the attitude to
say, in private email "We've already discussed this and you seem to be
ignoring some key points, here's the summary," then include a pertinent
faq or a reference to some such.

Or, if things haven't progressed to that stage, perhaps we could have
a bit more in the way of "lets conduct this discussion in private email,
I'll be collecting responses and summarizing later".  Followed, of course,
by a summary.

Open discussion is great, but only when the topic is of general
interest. There really isn't a general solution to this problem that
doesn't involve "self-discipline and careful understanding" (also known
as thoughtfulness) on the part of the participants.

--
Raul