Re: Mailing list policy

On Wed, Jan 21, 1998 at 01:48:00PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> split.  Instead, I would propose that we tighten the rules for
> debian-devel, as follows:
>
>  * No postings from nondevelopers.  Nondevelopers should post to
>    debian-user.  If a separate non-queries list for nondevelopers is
>    required (eg for political discussions) it should be created.

This would be bad, I think. I participated some time before I got official
maintainer on debian-devel. Carefully I was only to post when I could
contribute to some problem. The open development should include the right of
non-developers to step in threads on debian-devel (assumption I make:
everyone is a responsible person etc...)

But what is more serious I think: If non-developers are not allowed to post
to debian-devel, threads will be moved to debian-user by non-developers,
where they don't belong. This will create more confusion than occasional
strange postings by clueless easy-to-recognizer-people, I would think.

Marcus
official debian maintainer for just a short while now.