Re: packaging static lib oriented software

On Wed, Jan 21, 1998 at 04:48:39AM -0000, bruce@va.debian.org wrote:
> I'd be interested in finding out exactly what the slowdown is for PIC, even
> if it is only 5% .

Assuming the reason for the slowdown is the use of an extra register, it
obviously depends on what you're doing. I can imagine scenarios where the
lack of a register would result in a few extra instructions in the middle of
a small loop, making it too big for the L1 cache, and having a very large
effect on the speed. On the other hand, in most cases I doubt it would have
a noticeable effect at all.