Re: packaging static lib oriented software

James A.Treacy <treacy@debian.org> wrote:
> This may be, but the picture doesn't seem to be that simple. There
> are stories that sites have had trouble with a number of people
> running the same program when linked against a shared lib. The same
> site had no problems when they switched to running a statically
> linked version of the program.

Hmm.. it could be that the memory being used was spread out through
the entire library -- a few bytes here and a few bytes there might
add up to a lot of pages.

Hard to say without a real test case.

That said, I am all for a proposal that makes it simple to package
software, and simple to document.  [We've got a lot of complexity
in the packaging process...]

--
Raul