Re: kernel headers---FAQ

On 19 Jan 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
>
> Jason> Even better:
> Jason> 'Should I move /usr/src/linux to /usr/local/src/linux [Y/n]'
>
> 	No, I feel queasy about moving strange directories off to an
>  area that is controlled by the user. Has anyone actually looked at
>  the current behaviour before critiquing?
>
> 	There is an error message. There is an explanatory text. There
>  is a pasuse, and the installer needs to  hit return (as
>  required by policy)
>
> 	Once the offending directory is handled by the (supposedly)
>  intelligent human, installation proceeds as planned.

I still think you should take care that your package configures ASAP.  In
the current version it is not possible in the same run. You should ask the
user if you should move the directory and if he says yes (it means it is
OK with him), then kernel-headers, libc6-dev, and all the rest that
depends on libc6-dev can be configured in that run. Why not making the
things easy for the user if they're not too much trouble for you? If
/usr/local/src and /usr/src are the same fs, it is just one `mv', if not,
then move to /usr/src/linux-MOVED... and warn the user about this. Or is
making things easy for the user against policy ?

Greg

Ps. sorry about the previous posting, i really didnt see the latest
posinst behaviour...

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
              HuLUG: http://www.cab.u-szeged.hu/local/linux/