Re: What is a 'circular link'?

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> This bug report shows an error message at installation time, about a
> circular link.  What does this mean and what might be causing it?

A circular link is something like "ln -s foo foo" or "ln -s foo bar;
ln -s bar foo".  In this case the file "pg_hba.conf" in
/etc/postgresql in a symlink to "/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf" (i.e. to
itself).  This error is generated by dpkg itself, so you could UTSL
and see exactly where dpkg checks.

Are there any symbolic links in the postgresql packages, or put there
by the postinst?  Symlinks in Debian packages are supposed to be
relative (e.g. to be a problem, this would have been
"../../etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf") so I don't see how this particular
link would have got there.

[...]

> > When installing postgresql, I get this message:
> >
> > dpkg: postgresql: warning - config file `/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf' is a
> > circular link (= `/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf')

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."