Re: Integrating main, "non-us" ftp site

Package: nonus.debian.org
Severity: wishlist

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> If I attempt to do a dselect install via ftp from a local mirror which
> has both the main debian distribution as well as the "non-US" stuff, it
> doesn't work.  Not without jumping through some serious hoops, at any
> rate.
>
> The problem is that the Packages file on the non-US site do not follow
> the same conventions as the packages file on the main ftp site.
>
> For bo, the "main" Packages file contains entries like
>   "Filename: stable/binary-i386/x11/9fonts_1-4.deb"
>              ^^^^^^
>   "Filename: bo/binary-i386/bzip_0.21-3.deb"
>              ^^
>
> For hamm, the "main" Packages file contains entries like
>   "Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/text/2utf_1.01.deb",
>              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   but the non-US site's Packages file contains entries like
>   "Filename: hamm/binary-i386/apache-ssl_1.2.4+1.11-2.deb"
>              ^^^^
[snip]

I agree to your proposal. Even if the scripts could work without the
dists/ directory, it would probably be much easier for humans browsing the
archive if we use the same directory structure on the US and non-US
servers.

I guess it would be sufficient to create a dists/unstable directory on
non-us and include a symlink dists/unstable/non-us -> ../../hamm . Then,
the script which generates the Packages file has to be change to refer to
the dists directory.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com