Re: GGI first release

On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 08:51:12PM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:
> Hartmut Koptein writes:
>  > On Jan 8, James A.Treacy wrote:
>  > > Now that they have something running, one thing I'd like to know
>  > > is how fast it is. Have they done any tests comparing it to
>  > > XFree86?
>  >
>  > Or against the video stuff in 2.1'er kernels? Console speed, ...
>
> I tried it some time ago.  I think I remember they claim the console
> video to be faster, but can't be sure.
>
> For text mode, I think they can't do worse than the current console
> driver, which I don't think able to cope with card-specific features.
>
> Anyway, they don't have full accelerated support right now, but then
> *all* apps will benefit from it.

>From what I remember off the kernel mailing list, GGI is currently a "proof
on concept" rather than something to be used.  The console support is
apparently much slower than the current console code.

As Yann says, they havn't really done any acceleration, just getting things
working with standard VGA. They said they wanted it to work with VBE (like
Duke Nukem etc) - version 2.0 certainly seemed fast enough, although I think
someone mentioned v3.0 (and SciTech UniVBE).

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS