Re: .orig.tar.gz which unpacks into `pwd`

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:36:19 +0100 (CET), Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> said:

> Source tars that unpacks into the current directory may have *very
> different* looks. For example, what if a source tar unpacks into
>
> README
> the-real-directory-containing-everything-else/*
>
> ?
>
> In this case it is much better to repackage it.

People who feel this way would just continue to repackage their source
tar files, they wouldn't be forced to use the upstream original tar.

Personally, I would rather use the unmodified tar in the situation you
describe, but my preference wouldn't affect anybody else's packages.
We'd get extra flexibility, but whether to use it is in the hands of the
developer.

--
Roderick Schertler
roderick@argon.org