Re: .orig.tar.gz which unpacks into `pwd`

-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Roderick Schertler wrote:
>
> > Here's a patch for dpkg-source which allows -x to handle a source tar
> > which unpacks into the current directory.  I wanted to air it here
> > before I submitted it to the bug system.
>
> We talked about this some time ago (see the archives if you can, sorry I
> don't remember exactly when the discussion took place). Source tars that
> unpacks into the current directory may have *very different* looks. For
> example, what if a source tar unpacks into
>
> README
> the-real-directory-containing-everything-else/*

Ah, I missed that discussion. I would like to say that I greatly
value being able to (whenever possible) use the unmod upstream .tar.gz
archive, and in this case I still think it's possible.
I would be in favour of a dpkg-source that can handle the above
source archive.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

Potentially offensive files, part 5: /dev/random.
`head -c 4 /dev/random` may print 4-letter words (once every approx 4e8 tries).