Re: rxvt backspace still broken, and inputrc

On Tue 13 Jan 1998, John Goerzen wrote:

> rxvt still doesn't work with, for example, ncftp.  The backspace key
> does not perform the desired action (c-H does, though).

Do you have the line

    "\C-?": delete-char

in your /etc/inputrc? If so, remove it. All readline utilities should
then pay attention to the stty erase setting (which should be ^?).

> However, rxvt does not work so well.  It seems that some
> curses/ncurses programs do not correctly interpret the backspace
> sequence that rxvt is sending.
>
> The latest communication from rxvt's maintainer stated that rxvt is
> now set to use whatever stty erase is set to in the CALLING
> environment -- NOT what the rxvt terminfo/termcap is set to.  Since
> the calling environment will often set erase to ^? (when rxvt is
> started from a menu or button bar) but both xterm and rxvt terminfo
> entries define it as ^H, this could definately be a problem (and is).

According to the libreadline maintainer, the stty erase setting override
the terminfo entry, but /etc/inputrc overrides the stty setting. As far
as I could determine, that's true. It's unfortunate that the only place
that /etc/inputrc is documented is in the bash manpage, as it's used by
every program that uses libreadline.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl