More problems with smail (was Re: smail (3.2.0.100-2) and ppp issues

On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 12:18:51PM -0601, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

> * Worse. This darned thing, as configured by answering questions after
> "Internet Site", doesn't accept connections from localhost, and that
> corrected, it won't accept mail at all, unless ...

It didn't work for me, too, unless I specified in config:

smtp_hello_broken_allow=localnet

as you state here:

> First, using pine (this is mentioned somewhere in the documentation) it
> seems it does Something Not Quite Right, and one needs to put
> "smtp_hello_broken_allow: localnet". Localnet has nothing to do with the
> subnet the machine belongs to, it matches IP 127.*. This can't be on the
> default configuration. It's a big security hole. Unless the machine (or
> routers) is configured to filter spoofed packets, this is a BIG problem.

> Worse (this I haven't figured out yet, so if somebody points out the
> solution, I'll be able to send email from my pc again). smail wants to
> check the address it's sending mail to. If I want to write to
> debian-user@lists.debian.org, it wants to check that lists.debian.org is
> valid BEFORE accepting the data. It takes ages before it says it can't
> resolve a thing and that it won't accept even a single bit of mail. (It
> doesn't say it this way, but I was getting pissed off and that was what I
> was reading ;-) Now, obviously, no mail can be send from my pc anymore.
> And I can't find an option to tell smail to relax and make it forget about
> checking the addresses.

I have a similar problem: I used fetchmail to transport mail via POP3 to
smail and from there to procmail (I know I can leave smail out, but it
worked for ages). Now comes the fun:

I downloaded 500 messages yesterday. It needed 2 hours, because smail
checked every message seperately (did take a few seconds for each message).

Then, it couldn't deliver the mail via smart_user (which was left to default
by me) and returned the mail! I *was* upset about this, as you can imagine.

This is what log file tells me:

01/14/1998 02:22:11: [m0xsHX1-000NNbC] Received
FROM:debian-user-request@lists.debian.org HOST:localhost[127.0.0.1]
PROTOCOL:esmtp PROGRAM:in.smtpd ORIG-ID:<"fVOlxD.A.5hE.GDou0"@debian>
SIZE:3288 IDENT:brinkmds ID-METHOD:rfc1413

[snipped]

01/14/1998 02:23:00: [m0xsHX1-000NNbC] Failed TO:brinkmds@localhost
DIRECTOR:smart_user ERROR:(ERR100) unknown user

[snipped]

01/14/1998 02:23:08: [m0xsHX1-000NNbC] Returned error FOR:brinkmds@localhost
TO:debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
01/14/1998 02:23:08: [m0xsHX1-000NNbC] Completed.

This goes on for ages! logfile.0 takes up 500 Kbyte. I'm pretty sure that I
have brinkmds@localhost here on my system, it's me ;)

Errors: 1) smail doesn't accept SMTP from localhost (as fetchmail does)
        2) smail doesn't accept mail for local users.

*sigh* I'm back to smail from bo for now.

I think that choosing internet leaf site doesn't allow to configure the SMTP
host for outgoing mail, too, but I was never sure about this feature of
smailconfig. The questions are difficult to understand (not clearly spelled
out).

At the moment, I feel a bit, ... well, confused.

Marcus