ide-floppy, ziptools, fdmount

I have a machine with an IDE Zip drive.  In the 2.0.33 kernel
configuration you can include support for IDE Floppy drives.  The
drive is then recognized as an ide-floppy.
 ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7
     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf
 hda: Maxtor 84320D4, 4120MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=525/255/63, DMA
 hdb: MATSHITA CR-585, ATAPI CDROM drive
 hdc: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
 ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
 ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
 Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
 FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
 Partition check:
  hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 >
 ide-floppy: hdc: I/O error, pc = 5a, key =  5, asc = 24, ascq =  0
 ide-floppy: Can't get drive capabilities
 hdc: 98304kB, 32/64/96 CHS, 4096 kBps, 512 sector size, 2941 rpm
 hdc: The drive reports both 100663296 and 0 bytes as its capacity

I have not been able to find documentation of the capabilities of the
ide-floppy interface in the kernel source.  Does anyone know where to
look?

Has anyone started on packaging up the ziptools programs?  I know
there is a jaztool package but I haven't seen anything about
ziptools.  I don't believe that the jaztool programs work with ZIP
drives.

Is it possible that programs like fdmount could work with the
ide-floppy devices?  It would be nice to have something that would
look at the partitions and determine the filesystem type the way that
fdmount does.