Re: Debian & Win95 files... && FAT32

	I also installed Debian on a machine and needed to preserve Win95
. (also AMD586) .  It was a brand spanking Win95 dist. They now use FAT32
file system. Although it was very difficult to tell (no docs, no info) it
looks like I could no longer make a vfat partition under win95.  I could
make an old fashioned msdos partition.  Actually , it was difficult to
tell what I was making.
	Debian 1.3 cannot mount a FAT32 partition. In fact kernels 2.0.x
cannot .  2.1.x with x>something can mount them.  There is a patch for the
2.0.x kernels, but it took me a while to install it. The patch maker had a
different name for the source tree and a sym link to the source tree and
mixed usage of both names.  Then I had to jet the cd-rom module to get the
kernel to compile (I never wrote him, so I am to blame too).
	I was trying to install from stuff I'd downloaded to the win95
fat32 partition. And I couldn't . Fortunatly , I had 4 Gigs and made
another msdos partition (under window, it supported long names, but linux
only recognised it as msdos with short names; and not as vfat at all) .
	Can someone make a rescue floppy with  a patched kernel ?

	Another thing: Fips will not split a FAT32 partition.  The same
patcher has written fipsb, which will do it.  However, a windows but
causes this to break the win95 installation.  I backed out repeatedly by
restoring the MBR, but could never get win95 to boot except in MSDOS mode.
I checked on the web, and it seems to be related to a bug that appears
often independently of fipsb.  MS has a web page on fixing it, but myself
and others tried all the fixes and they don't work.  I ended up wiping out
windows and repartitoning and reinstalling.

	By the way: this was my first relatively length exposure to win95.
It is really worse than I imagined.  It reminds my of a $200 000 000
Hollywood movie.  I always say, "If I had to spend that money, I couldn't
make a movie that bad if I tried"

G John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>