Re: version 0.8 of libc5 to libc6 auto-upgrade script

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Scott Ellis wrote:
>
> > I've taken the script and clipped the headers and trailers and stuck it,
> > along with a tarball of all the packages it installs, at
> > {http,ftp}://stormcrow.ml.org/pub/debian/autoup/
>
> cool.
>
> one suggestion: keep the script separate from the .tar.gz file - that
> way, you can keep the script up to date without having to rebuild the
> archive (unless new files like datadumper and libnet-perl get added, of
> course)
>
> i'm not sure if you're already doing it this way or not.

Everything is in a subdirectory that I simply tar up when I change the
script (I have a script to do that <grin>).  I also make the script
available seperatly in the same directory for those who have the files
locally (or want a better connection to the rest of the packages).

> > I intend to mention it in the next update of my howto, which should be
> > "real soon now" and which will probably be shorter for availability of a
> > script to do the work :)
>
> uhhh...please don't take the details out of your HOWTO.  It's a great
> explanation of what to do by hand and also serves as docco for the script.
>
> just say something like "you can do this by hand or you can run the script"

Agreed.  Now all I need to do is get around to altering my howto :)