Re: Emacsen intermediate step proposal.

> > > 1) Have all emacs flavors add "Provides: emacsen" to their control
> > > file.  It would be nice to just use emacs as the virtual package name
> > > rather than emacsen, but I don't think we can do that and maintain
> > > automatic upgrades.  I'm no expert on dpkg upgrade behavior, so I'd be
> > > happy to be corrected.  Ideally we'd like to move emacs to be emacs19,
> > > and let emacs be the virtual package name.  Perhaps some clever
> > > control files in emacs19 and the new helper package propsed in (4)
> > > could work around this problem.  Ideas?
> >
> > I think we should really try to just "Provides: emacs" instead of
> > emacsen.  From what I know of dpkg, you should just be able to
> > add the "Provides:" with each package (emacs19, xemacs20, etc) as
> > it gets released.  There will be an initial problem if somebody
> > installs both the existing "emacs" package and "xemacs20", but that
> > will go away soon enough.
> >
> > Oh yeah...  The new "emacs19" package will also need a "Replaces: emacs"
> > line.
> >
> > I think that should take care of it.  Does anybody know differently?
>
> We already have an emacs package.  Creating a virtual package with the
> same name simply doesn't work.  And if emacs19 replaces emacs, it can't be
> coninstalled with anything else that provides emacs.

I know we already have an emacs package.  I use it.  It seems silly to create
a different virtual package name.  That will just create more problems with
any package that already have a dependancy on emacs.

Also, I thought "Conflicts:" would stop coinstallation but "Replaces:" would
allow it.  Once the actual emacs package has been purged, the virtual package
should go unseen except when calculating dependancies.  It's transparent to
replace/conflict directives.  (I believe so, anyway.)

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )