Re: MTA for firewalls, etc. ?

And thus spake Jason Gunthorpe, on Mon, Jan 12, 1998 at 02:30:27PM -0700:
> QMail is pretty easy to set this up with, I'm not totaly sure how Debian's
> cron sends mail thouch (I had a problem with QNX's cron using the 'mail'
> program which only worked with sendmail :<)
>
> Basically all you do with QMail is not run the inetd spawned daemon, it
> will never accept mail from the outside world. You could probably also
> quite easially configure it to forward all mail to some other host and
> never do local delivery (I've never tried that though). Unless you install
> the qmail-smtp progam it will never listen on a port which should work
> well for firewalls.

You can do the exact same thing with sendmail. Just don't run any instances
with -bd, and it won't listen for incoming SMTP mail over TCP. You can run
a queue daemon with sendmail -qNm where N==minutes to delay between queue
runs, and then it will only deliver mail locally or outgoing, but never
accept mail over the internet.

--
Elie Rosenblum <erosenbl@nyx.net>   That is not dead which can eternal lie,
     <fnord@cosanostra.net>      And with strange aeons even death may die.