Re: port 80 connections persist after closing Netscape

Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
> Is there any way that diald can distinguish between a port 80 shutdown
> and a request to open a connection? I would like a request to download
> a page to start the link up, but the shutdwon to be ignored.

Hmm... I just remembered diald does not have the concept of a duration
of time where the line is left up, but it's ok if it goes down. In
other words, it tries to manage connect time rather connections.  I
don't know how the current implementation of diald interacts with
the timers, and I don't know if this has anything to do with your
situation.

Maybe you have a socket with data waiting to go out, and diald can't
distinguish between data you're interested in and data you don't find
interesting?

Anyways, a quick look at my /etc/diald/standard.filter suggests that
diald should already be configured, at least to some degree, to ignore
www fin requests. Maybe you've got something else going on? [Maybe
non-port 80 requests?]

If you want to try a sledgehammer approach, put the following two lines
immediately after the line that says something like "accept tcp 15
tcp.syn":

ignore tcp !tcp.live
ignore tcp tcp.fin

[tcp.live, if I remember right is zero only if both ends have shut down,
tcp.fin is the notification that one end is shutting down.]

--
Raul