Re: Snapshots of python 1.5 packages

Mike Orr wrote:
> > I've put a snapshot of my python 1.5 non-maintainer packages at
> > <http://www.mathi.uni-heidelberg.de/~flight/debian-private/python/.
>
> Hi again, Gregor.  I tried to download these today, but both lynx and
> netscape want to display the files as text and when you save it into a
> file it gets corrupted (text mode mangling?).  That site does not accept
> anonymous ftp connections, so I can't ftp it.  Do you have a real ftp
> site available?

Thanks for the hint. I've set the MIME type for .deb files to
application/octet-stream, hope this works better.

I have also updated the python 1.5 package snapshots on the page above. I
think I'm gone release this stuff as non-maintainer packages in the next
few days.

Then, I've grabbed all the python-dependent packages from hamm (that's
python-wpy, python-pmw, dpkg-python, dpkg-ftp-x, dpkglint and glint) and
started to rework the for python 1.5. The maintainers of those packages
may want to have a look at them. I think I'll release 1.5-0.1 first, file
bugs against those packages and then wait for a while to give the
maintainers a fair chance to update their packages. The current standings
are on

	http://www.mathi.uni-heidelberg.de/~flight/debian-private/

I'm providing a default postinst and prerm for byte-compiling python
add-on packages, which IMHO provides a better solution than 1.4.

	Gregor

PS: If you're really interested in these packages, please have a look at
the postinst/prerm/compileall.py part and tell me what you think. Ugly,
but IMHO the only way to cleanly remove python 1.4 while upgrading.